Feel good hippy-dippy policies and socialism and anti-business attitudes are leaving businesses little choice but to flee The Socialist Republic of California. Their loss is Texas’ and Florida’s and Tennessee’s and Utah’s (etc.) gain.
From The Orange County Register: “Why do these and the other companies move out of California? [Irvine, California relocation consultant Joe] Vranich has updated his top 10 reasons that California companies call the moving van.
“No. 10 is new: Energy costs soaring because of new laws and regulations. Commercial electrical rates are already 50% higher than the rest of the country, Vranich says, and Gov. Jerry Brown just signed a new law increasing the amount of power utilities must buy from renewable sources plus regulations for the California Global Warming Solutions Act will start soon.
“The other reasons, Vranich says, are:
9. High and unfair tax treatment
8. Regulatory burden
7. Unfriendly legal environment for business
6. Most expensive place to do business
5. Provable savings elsewhere
4. Public policies and taxes create unfriendly business climate
3. Uncontrollable public spending
2. More adversarial toward business than any other state
1. Poor rankings for California on lists ranging from taxes to crime rates to school dropout rates.”
Bwaahaaahaaaa! When socialists and dirty stinking hippies reap what they sow it is a very good thing. But here’s what I fear. When the Californias and New Yorks and Illinoises of the USA lose too much of their businesses and their citizens, look for them to band together to get the federal government to force higher taxes and other socialist causes on the states that are drawing all the business and new citizens. It’s already happened once with Boeing. But that is just the tip of the iceberg I fear. We. Just. Can’t. Make it to easy for businesses to up and flee Californication.