This is just between we so-called “conservatives” so the rest of you butt out. Yeah, I KNOW, some of you conservatives will stop right here and not bother even reading this, lest you be considered homophobic. But here are my top ten reasons why conservatives are too gutless to call a spade a spade. Too cowardly to stand up for the institution of marriage being between one man and one woman. Too misinformed to stand up for what is right, and against what is wrong. As R. Stacy McCain wrote regarding the defense of marriage: [same-sex] “Marriage is a hill to die on.”
10. “Hey, I’ve done _________ [fill in the blank, looked at porn, cheated, stole, lusted, etc. ad nauseum], so who am I to condemn them?
9. “NOT that there is anything wrong with that” from Seinfeld. Who wants to be considered “un-cool” or homophobic?
8. “Can’t we all just get along?” or We need all the votes we can get. Besides being cool, “The Gay Patriot” and Cynthia Yockey at “A Conservative Lesbian” are sooo conservative on the fiscal issues…
7. Hey, I dig lesbian porn. Er, I mean I used to…
6. “Judge not lest thou also be judged.” [Of course, following that “logic” would preclude making anything illegal or immoral, evuh, but don’t interrupt me, I’m on a roll]
5. Hey, my [fill in the blank, relative, roommate, friend, co-worker] is gay, and he/she is really cool and I really like him/her. And those guys on “Queer Eye For The Straight Guy” are all so cool.
4. Hey, who wants to be associated with the “God Hates Queers” people? I don’t want people to think I’m a fanatic.
3. Have you seen what queers do to those who oppose them? I don’t wanna be Carrie-Prejeaned!! I don’t want them “outting” me as a “hater.” I don’t want them boycotting my business, my state, or getting me fired.
2. God didn’t really mean it when he condemned homosexuality in the Bible. All that Old Testament bull shit like stoning people and not eating crabs went out with “Love Thy Neighbor!”
1. They are so misinformed (or uneducated) about “libertarianism” and of the thinking of The Founding Fathers that they fail to understand the difference between “liberty” and “license“.
[Not necessarily in this order, and I’m sure that I missed a few, and that some are sub-sets of the same reason…]